- Prepares food and maintains efficient standards of operation. Reviews production sheets and recipes to ensure quality and quantity needed for service, and ensures food is prepared in sufficient quantities to cover all service requirements. Monitors food for appropriate time, temperature, and production records to ensure safe food handling techniques are being utilized.
- Prepares general and special diet items in accordance with established standardized recipes. When needed, reviews recipe ingredient substitution with Chef and or FNS Leadership for compliance with diet requirements.
- With assistance, ensures all food on master cycle menu is completed on time, in correct quantity and of optimum quality (appearance, taste, and temperature). Reviews weekly food usage and completes weekly inventory as assigned.
- Assists with performing meat roasting, frying, broiling, steaming, grilling, sauteing; preparation of sauces, gravies, vegetables, meats/proteins, cereals, eggs and other baked goods.
- Under direction, monitors food portioning and promotes food waste control by preparing food in small batches to help control waste/cost.
- Assembles patient meal trays as needed in accordance with approved diet guidelines and portions while adhering to productivity standards. Monitors food handling and temperatures, and utilizes established procedures to ensure safe food handling techniques and prevent foodborne illness.
- Provide initial service to guests in retail operations by serving food and maintaining the cleanliness of the operation. Responsible for operating cash register, handling cash and completing daily reports and cash register balance sheets as needed. Prepares grill, deli, and/or entree food items according to established standardized recipes. Replenishes food service areas to include supply of dishes, utensils and ancillary smallwares.
- Performs cleaning duties using established sanitation procedures in the kitchen and cafeteria. Washes pots, pans and dishes according to established procedures. Assists with preparation, delivery, setup, cleanup and presentation of catered and specialized events. Assists with "special days/promotions", including decorating.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care to the age of the patients served. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements relative to his/her age specific needs. Ability to provide the care needed as described in the department's policies and procedures. Age specific information is developed further in the departmental job standards.
- Maintain passing grades in all vocational classes taken.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- ServSafe Food Handler certification issued by the National Restaurant Association needs to be obtained within 90 days.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Must be able to meet minimum educational requirements for entry into technical school courses
- Basic computer skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and to problem solve
- Apprentices must abide by all terms and conditions set forth in their apprenticeship contract
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, lift, bend, twist, climb, kneel, and reach above shoulders for at least 50% of the workday
- Continuously lift up to 15 lbs, frequently lift up to 25 lbs, and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs. Ability to push/pull with 20 lbs. of force routinely.
- Working atmosphere may contain odors from food, and dust from flour, spices, etc.
- May be exposed to mechanical, electrical, and chemical hazards. Protective clothing must be worn as necessary.
- May be required to enter patient isolation rooms wearing appropriate coverings during meal service tray delivery and pick up.
- Will be exposed to sharp knives, other sharp cooking utensils, heat from ovens and other hazards in a kitchen environment.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.